By the year 2100, the earth will be inhabited by over 11 billion people
To accommodate everyone, we will need more than 2 billion new housings. This means that we have to build smarter, more efficiently and much more sustainable.
A healthy indoor life – For all the people in the world
Using the UN Sustainable Development Goals, the SDGs, as our strategic framework, we have chosen a set of goals where we can commit as a company. All the way through the production process, from the selection of raw materials throughout our production line, delivery, and quality of end-product, we are already contributing greatly to a shift towards a sustainable future.
Goal 3: We will ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
As a place of work, Fibo is committed to upholding the highest health and safety standards for all our employees. We also actively promote the physical and mental well-being of our staff through a range of initiatives.
Our products are registered on environmental databases providing full transparency and accountability. In addition, we honor our commitment of providing a healthy indoor climate by rigorously testing our products against the highest international standards.
- Our panels closed surfaces provide a drier indoors whilst also being easy to keep clean without the need of strong chemicals – resulting in a much healthier indoor climate
- All our panels actively kill and prohibit the growth of harmful bacteria, such as E-coli and Staphylococcus aureus. Fibo panels have been certified according to the ISO 22196:2011 and JIS Z 2801:2010 standards.
- Fibo products have all been tested for emissions and meet strict requirements for degassing, meaning that they do not leave behind residuals of harmful substances
Goal 8: We will promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
Fibo works closely with government and labor unions to ensure that all employees receive equal pay for equal work. Union membership is actively encouraged for all. We also have employment programs for the inclusion of people with disabilities and apprenticeship programs to give young people a start on the career ladder.
- The majority of workers in Fibo are unionised (over 60%)
- Fibo collaborates with local social welfare offices by offering work based training for the disabled to help integration into the work place
- Fibo has an equal pay for equal work policy, with equal career opportunities for all genders
- Increased overall employee NPS from 11% to 52% (2018 vs. 2021)
Goal 9: We will build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Our state of the art factory and production line in Southern Norway generates heat to the local community and we are exploring even more energy efficient production processes in the future.
- We have invested 16.5 million US dollars in new machinery and equipment in order to improve efficiency and reduce our overall energy consumption
- Our continued focus on factory improvements and sustainable production, mean we can scale up production, without increasing energy consumption correspondingly
- Any cut-offs from production are used to generate heating both for factory and for the local community
Goal 11: We will make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Fibo works closely with councils and private developers in both the USA and UK to build both community housings and other low-cost high quality solutions. Our focus on cost-efficieny and durability means a healthy indoor environment is accessible to many.
- Our solution is 35-50% cheaper than tiles
- The Fibo wall system reduces revenue loss due to faster completion
- Panels can be easily replaced without having to make further adjustments such as a new base or membrane.
- The wall system is free of harmful substances, easy to maintain and lasts for decades.
- Our factory in Southern Norway is ISO 14001: 2015 certified. This is the world’s most recognised standard for environmental management
Goal 12: We will ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
Fibo wall solutions contributes significantly to reduce to the total climate impact of new and refurbed bathrooms.
- With a 50% lower weight vs tile, Fibo provides savings in transport and disposal of waste
- During production, wastage is kept to a minimum as the raw materials are tailor-made to our measurements
- Defined life expectancy is 20 years, but experience indicates that it lasts for decades
Goal 13: We will take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Fibo wall systems contribute significantly to lower CO2-footprints from production through distribution and installation.
- The building and construction industry accounts for up to 40% of global greenhouse gas emissions. At Fibo we are committed to helping drive down CO2 emissions from this sector
- Fibo wall panels have a CO2 footprint which is approximately 50% less than tiles. Applied on a wall the CO2 savings are even greater.
- When the time comes to replace the wall panels in the bathroom, they are perfect for reusing elsewhere. They can be used to clad walls in garages, barns, sheds etc. By reusing the wall panels in this way, you continue to keep the CO2 footprint at the lowest possible level
- If none of the panels are recycled, the CO2 held within the panels wooden core will be released when the panels are broken down. It’s still worth remembering that during the total lifetime of a Fibo bathroom, the CO2 footprint is still approximately half that of a fully tiled bathroom.
Goal 14: We will conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
Fibo is committed to reducing wastage and packaging that potentially ends up in our oceans, harming marine life and contributing to global warming. Our goal is to do away with plastic entirely in favour of more degradable and environmentally friendly materials.
- We have already halved our plastic use thanks to new packaging technology
Goal 15: We will protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
Our Fibo wall system comes from certified renewable wood – with full traceability from raw material to finished product.
- As a raw material, Timber has a unique ability to capture and store carbon. In a life-cycle perspective, the production and use of Fibo panels have a significantly lower CO2-footprint compared to other materials.
- We ensure that we buy from suppliers that are committed to sustainable forestry